They come in all shapes, sizes, flavours and colours. And we bloody love them. Whether you’re a Porn Star Martini kinda girl, a Dark and Stormy guy or more of a Long Island Iced Tea Pot party our menu has the perfect cocktail, hand-crafted just for you.
So, to celebrate cocktail week (which has got to be the best week we’ve ever thought of) here are our top 10 cocktail based facts…
Every day’s a school day.
1. The largest cocktail ever made was a whopping 39,746.82 litres by Nick Nicora in California. We’ll have a round of those please barman.
2. The first cocktail party was held for 50 house guests in St. Lous in 1917. By all accounts it was one hell of a party.
3. The word ‘’toast’’, which means “wishing good health” originated in ancient Rome. A piece of toasted bread was literally dropped into a glass of wine. We’re glad that detail got lost in history.
It’s not about crumbs in your vino.
4. The world record for the most people cocktail flairing is 101.
5. The Filipinos are the biggest pissheads (allegedly). The global sale of gin is nearly 60 million cases and more than half of that is consumed in the Philippines. And we thought our Christmas parties were bad…
6. Sir Winston Churchill was bananas about booze. He would start each day with a whiskey before moving on to brandy and martinis later in the afternoon all the way through to evening.
7. Gin and cocktails are like fish and chips, made for each other. When gin is mixed with other ingredients the flavourings are brought out, to make it even tastier than before. There’s an excuse if you ever needed one…
8. July 30th is known as Black Tots Day to memorialise the day in 1970 the British Navy did away with providing every sailor with a daily ration of rum. Worst. Day. Ever.
9. The human body produces its own supply of alcohol naturally, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Pretty sure supply increases on Sunday mornings.
10. Most vegetable and almost all fruits contain a small amount of alcohol. Just another reason to love our fruity concoctions.
Now that you’ve learnt something new, why not try #SomethingNew from our amazing cocktail menu. Don’t forget, you can get 2-4-1 cocktails all year round with your student card, pick it up in bar now!*
*Exclusions apply. Different offers are available in Scotland. Please see local bar for details.
Check out our new cocktail menu here #trysomethingnew