Bitterness is a bit weird, right? It’s the only flavour we seem to actively avoid. Sweet, salty, sour, spicy – now THEY’RE adjectives you want near your food! But bitter? Eurgh.
Then why is the bitter Negroni so damn popular? It can’t just be the world’s hipster population keeping this very stiff cocktail alive. We think it’s the sophisticated, aromatic depth of flavour present within the Negroni’s four main ingredients, each of which is a complex botanical distillation by itself.
That might be the reason, but it could just be the hipsters. If so, we reckon they’ve got very good taste. Find out for yourself using our step by step guide to the classic Negroni – we’re certain you’ll be very pleasantly surprised.
NEGRONI COCKTAIL INGREDIENTS:
25ml Tanqueray gin
3 dashes of orange bitters
Garnish with perfumed orange
HOW TO MAKE A NEGRONI
- First things first, add 2 big cubes of ice to a crystal glass.
- Then, pour out an accurate measure of each spirit over the ice, as well as 3 dashes of the aromatic orange bitters.
- Give those ingredients a good ol’ stir for at least 10 seconds.
- Now, add a couple more cubes of ice, and stir it together for an additional 10 seconds.
- Finally, pop in that perfumed orange garnish.
And there you have it – a classic Negroni cocktail. Because it’s SO botanical and posh and sophisticated, it’s normally consumed as an aperitif (for consumption before/after meals) – but we’d recommend it any time of the day. Enjoy.
At Revolution, we make awesome cocktails. It’s what we do. If you fancy learning from the best, book in to a cocktail masterclass.
Check out some of our other cocktail recipes below: